domingo, 29 de julio de 2007

Travel, explore, document; repeat.

Day 19, Wednesday, July 25th

Okay. Border crossing – here we go. This is my thought as I wake around six and finish packing to leave Panama. The cross into Panama was a nightmare (as I’m sure you remember), so I’m prepared for the worst. We drag our bags out to the boat to Changinola and pay for the trip. Thus follows a rather easy departure from the lovely country. We are traveling with some girls from Canada, and we all get to Sixaola together and get our passports stamped. They are traveling on their own as well, just some more of the really cool people we have met. This border crossing is so much easier because we are left alone for the most part. There are none of those pesky kids running around trying to take your bags. Either they’re all in school or it’s too early in the day. I’m fine with that.

We don’t have to wait long for a bus to San Jose. When we get on we realize that this bus is basically empty. It is lovely. Beth and I can both have our own seats, so I stretch out and relax. I sleep for a bit, but I really want to knit. I don’t know how to end my headband, so I just start the scarf behind it. I can practice I suppose.

We eat breakfast/lunch on the bus – PB&J and cheese crackers. Sound familiar? I’m pretty sure I’m not going to want another PB&J for months. After food I read for awhile and sleep a bit more. It is a nice ride.

When we get to San Jose we have to find our hostel. I am so sick of lugging this suitcase around. I swear, if I ever travel like this again, I am going to invest in one of those giant backpacks. Suitcasing is a pain in the butt.

We find Tranquilo Backpackers, a very lively little hostel downtown, and drop off our stuff. Then the hunger hits us. We walk back to the pedestrian walkway and get some Cheesy Fiesta Fries from Taco Bell. Fiesta! The afternoon is still young so we walk down to the National Theatre. We have kept saying that we are going to come here but have never gotten around to it. So we pay our little entrance fee but opt to wander guide free. It is a lovely old building, and I kinda wish we had gotten the guide. As pretty as it is, I think we miss some of the story. But still. We have a good time sitting in the seats next to the President’s box and discussing theatre. Beth and I are going to see Lion King when we get home, and we are both pretty thrilled.

After stopping in the art museum in the Theatre (a dedication to Francisco Amighetti), we follow the crowd as the Theatre closes for the day. As this is our last day in San Jose, we have to visit Pops a final time. Beth gets a cone, and I get a sundae: helado de cafe con caramelo. Mmm...

Then it’s back to the hostel. I’d like to say that I spend the rest of the night mixing and mingling with our fellow hostelers, but if you remember how many blogs I put up Wednesday, you’ll know that’s not true. I spend all night typing up old entries and using the internet. But I don’t mind. Perhaps I should be living it up here, but what can I say? I’m invested. And you guys love me for it. :)

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

I think it's good that you had a slow day. That way you can prepare for the hard journeys ahead (coming home only being one of them, I'm sure) and gain some peace of mind.